Charlotte County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance Worker - Part Time (Community Services)
at Charlotte County Government
- General Summary & Essential Responsibilities
Performs semi-skilled, routine, custodial, cleaning, and general maintenance work to upkeep of buildings, grounds, facilities, lawns, parks, playgrounds, and athletic areas. Work involves tasks that generally require a high degree of manipulative skills or previous experience in order to perform the work efficiently. Work is performed without immediate supervision in an assigned area, and may involve scheduling around other County staff and/or the public including during the day, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Mows, trims, edges, fertilizes, weeds, mulches, and waters within parks, playing fields, and other landscaped areas: prepares pitching mounds; drags and lines infields; levels infield skins, base paths, plates and warning racks; tamps mounds and plate areas; removes and replaces infield tarps as needed.
- Sweeps, mops, waxes, and refinishes floors in buildings and parks.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms, replenishes supplies, and performs basic plumbing maintenance.
- Sets up and breaks down meeting rooms and facilities for functions.
- Performs basic electrical work, carpentry, painting, dusting, trash removal, litter pick-up, and moving of furniture.
- Mixes and dilutes cleaners, disinfectants, strippers, and petroleum products for proper use.
- Closes windows, turns off lights, and locks doors and/or gates to secure buildings, parks, piers, and/or restrooms: reports unauthorized persons and other security problems; and monitors and remains aware of activities in Department buildings, parks, and/or playing fields.
- Operates light and/or medium duty automotive and all-terrain vehicles: and may drive a County vehicle to specified work area.
- Operates small tools and equipment such as self-propelled or riding mower, weed eater, chainsaw, and floor cleaning machines.
- Maintains equipment, materials, and supplies in proper condition and keeps work and storage areas safe.
- Reports the need for maintenance or repair of facilities/work areas to the appropriate supervisor.
- Corrects or reports fire or safety hazards, and places signs or barriers in public areas.
- Keeps basic records of work performed including time sheets, work checklists, safety reports, and work requests.
- May install and maintain irrigation systems, repair broken water pipelines, replace valves, adjust timers, etc.
- May apply and monitor common fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
- May oversee the work of community service workers when assigned.
- May transport materials and equipment between County sites or facilities.
- Provide exceptional customer assistance, problem-solving, and/or complaints by all forms of communication.
- Min. Education, Licenses and Certifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- One (1) year of work experience in a related field.
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant training, education, and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of proper cleaning methods and the safe use of cleaning materials and disinfectants.
- Knowledge of safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work.
- Knowledge of shop mathematics and basic record keeping practices.
- Knowledge of basic painting, plumbing, and tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of sprinkler and irrigation systems, of application of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
- Knowledge of standard methods, practices, tools and equipment used in developing/maintaining professional baseball fields and operations as required.
- Knowledge of infield turf and clay work up to professional baseball standards as required.
- Ability to operate automotive/all-terrain vehicles and light-duty motor vehicles.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Good written and oral communication skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor, sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Depending upon assignment: Ability to work long and/or late nights, early mornings, split shifts, on weekends and holidays.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to provide internal/external guidance and customer assistance via all forms of communication.
- Supplemental Information
Working Conditions: Work is exposed to one or more disagreeable conditions (i.e., irate customers, outdoors weather conditions, excessive noise, extreme heat, odors or dust).
Risk/Safety Conditions: This position requires moderate exposure or risk to physical health and/or physical safety (e.g., exposure to environmentally hazardous material, heavy equipment, assault and battery, communicable disease, etc.).
Physical Activities: Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, climbing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception. Frequent lifting of up to 25 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
DISCLAIMER: The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, environmental conditions, or qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.